Monday, March 28, 2011

House Fire

Here's the story. We spent the weekend in Liberty, Utah with Tyson's side of the family. Our niece Elosie was blessed on Sunday. ( I'll post another blog with cute pictures of all the cousins together. ) We were awaken by smoke alarms around 3:00 a.m. At first I thought it was a malfunction because our alarms go off all the time for no good reason. Tyson went upstairs to check it out and not even a minute later I heard his mom upstairs yelling "Everybody out, out, out!" Then I knew for sure something was wrong so the first thought that goes through my head is I need to find some shoes because I don't know how long we're going to be standing outside in the snow with little kids. I found my church shoes, put our camera around Tyson's neck, handed our dog's leash to Kennedy and told her to go, picked up Spencer and Isabelle and booked it upstairs. Half way up the stairs the smoke is thick and at the top of the stairs I see huge flames coming from what looked like the kitchen. I could hear Tyson's brother David shouting "Get below the smoke!" I get outside and the kids are all being loaded into David and Janelle's car. I put Isabelle in and asked where Brooklyn was. It turns out that one of Tyson's brothers helped her outside but she was crying because she left her baby doll on her bed. I handed Spencer to Kennedy and went and got my coat out of my van and grabbed a few blankets for the mom's and kids that were in the car with no coats or shoes. Vicki (Tyson's mom) called a friend and we all ended up staying the rest of the night at her house. The fire was believed to have started under the stairs in the garage. They had a bed warmer for their cat plugged in and apparently the cord shorted out and that caused the fire. Tyson's brothers were able to put the fire out right before the fire trucks arrived...a few more minutes and they would have lost their house. There was a hose in the mud room which was right next to the garage door that they used it to spray water on the door, and luckily the cars nor the gas cans that were in the garage caught on fire. There were 11 kids all under the age of eight in the house and 8 adults. Everyone was suprisingly calm and I'm sure we will all remember this day for a long time.
We are thankful for miracles.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Scary! I'm so glad that everyone is ok. That has to be one of my biggest fears.

    ReplyDelete