Thursday, April 12, 2012

Glimpse into the life of a stay-at-home mom


So normally I use this blog to post cute pictures. I am just a little obsessed with taking pictures, especially of my children.  Well not today. Today I'm going to tell you a little story about being a mother. Just a little glimpse into my world.
 I decided that I wanted to mow our backyard. I went the garage and pushed the mower outside. I went back into the house through the garage closing the big door behind me. Keep in mind that I was home alone with Isabelle (3yrs) and Spencer (15 mo). I told them they could play in the backyard while I mowed. (first mistake) Well I go back out the front door, open the gate to the backyard and here comes Spencer with a giant, blue, bouncy ball. He's playing near me while I struggle to lift the bag and dump out all the grass. I notice he has wandered into our neighbor's yard, so I call to him.....he picks up his ball and drops it....it rolls into the street. I had just finished hooking the bag back on when I see this, I abandon the mower and chase after him. I get to him just as he's toddling into the street. (luckily there were no cars) I pick him up and walk towards the ball. The wind picks up. I walk faster, balancing him on my hip while he holds onto his bottle which is dripping down my shirt. It seems the faster I walk the faster the ball blows away. I walk in the wind with Spencer (he's almost 30 lbs mind you) about half a block before the ball stops. I lean down to pick it up, but it's very big so I look very awkward carrying Spencer with one arm and the giant ball in the other. I'm nearly halfway home when I see our two dogs run across the street. Isabelle had let them out the back door and they ran out the opened gate where I had left the lawn mower. I yell for them and they ignore me. Tommy, our naughty poodle looks and me and then turns and darts like a speeding bullet in the opposite direction of home. In an instant he's a good block away. I call for Pedro, our white Maltese we adopted from my Grandpa. He's smarter. He runs to me wagging his cute tail and follows me home. He's now my favorite. I throw the ball over our fence. Buckle Spencer in his car seat. Put Pedro in the house. Grab Isabelle and my keys. We go and get stupid Tom.
Somehow I still have the urge to mow the backyard. I lock myself and my kids in the backyard and mow half of it before the oil lid flew off and oil started spouting straight up into the air splattering myself and Spencer. I gave up. Cleaned us up. Locked the back door and told Tyson, from now on- He can mow the grass.

2 comments:

  1. Oh man. I'm sorry. What a day. I've missed talking to you lately at the Y. I'm going to start going to the Lose It club thing and try to get down to a more reasonably size, like orca instead of humpback, which means I'll be around a lot more. We need a girls night out. Let's use Marci's birthday as a reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man Amber, I never saw this post!! I will admit it did make me giggle a little bit! Sounds like a lot of work just to mow the law haha. You were very brave! We still need to come and see your house!!

    ReplyDelete